Sunday, September 11, 2011

The leaves are turning...

I really haven't updated anything of substance in a while. I'm afraid this update will just be a jumbled attempt to captured all that's gone on.

I went to see Kenny Chesney this summer at Lambeau Field, and it was awesome. We tailgated before hand. Of course, Kerry made it 100x more fun just by being there. I love my friend.







I just saw Pearl Jam at Alpine Valley last weekend...can't think of any other word to describe it except EPIC. Truly. I have never had a show or a man's voice move me so much live that I got goose bumps and was near tears. At several points during the show, the fans were singing so loud that Eddie Vedder just strummed the beginning chord on his guitar and let the crowd sing the song. Expensive ticket, but I don't regret it for a second; in fact, I'd have paid more to sit even closer. Here is the opening song they did - Release:



Betterman:


Hunger Strike (w/ Chris Cornell - Temple of the Dog)


Dad (ahem...Batman) & Jack

Jared & Josh playing Bean Bag Toss

My filthy, mud-caked feet from all the rain...

Our view

My friend Lacey found a kitty several months ago and I fostered her with the backing of Wish Upon a Paw. Lacey named her Monroe for the cute little black spot next to her nose. I drove to pick her up around midnight one night, and she settled in quickly - what a love right from day 1. Usually stray kittens, in my experience, tend to be skittish, but not this little girl. Purrs, headbutts, snuggles, blanket-nursing, biscuits...you name it. I brought her back to Emily A's last week and I already miss her dearly (so do Paddy and 'Vester). It's still really hard for me to give fosters back. Alas, all in the name of animal rescue and making room for more. Miss Monroe (and Peanut, another foster kitten I had for a week or so):

Drive Home:

Monroe & Paddy - Shenanigans with my moving boxes!

Monroe & foster buddy Peanut (King of Silent Meows)

So beautiful...

A blissful catnap...

Monroe and 'Vester the Protector

I visited Heidi a few weeks ago in Chicago. I usually put it off forever because I hate the drive, but I finally planned something. We stayed at Eli's house all weekend and Heidi had a ton of fun stuff planned for us. We had horseback riding lessons that Friday. I have to say, I never thought riding a horse was so damned hard! I thought I was going to have a heart attack and die when my horse went into a trot. Walking out of the stable that night, my inner thighs were a pool of jello and the soreness continued well throughout the entire weekend. Heid and I went to one of her Samba exercise classes on Saturday - taught by the world famous Dill Costa...Queen of Brazilian Carnival. She was AWESOME. I have never felt so awkward though...how in God's name can women move their hips like this?? Check her out here, in the white pants:



We did LOTS of other stuff while I was there - many good places to eat, candy store, Fright Night at the theater....you name it. I'm so glad I went and I really missed Heidi after I got home. Yummy candy picture, because I'm cool like that:


Probably the biggest news I've had in a while (or EVER) is that I bought a house! What a landmark life event for me. I happen to know the couple I bought it from (and the girl's parents), so it's been a great experience from the start. I close next Friday - pictures to come for sure! I love this house. It reminds me of my childhood home on Gregor Court. I can't wait to get all settled in! Special thanks to my Mom and Dad for...well, where would I even start with that? EVERYTHING. Let's just leave it at that. Words really don't do justice.



I believe Ellen is now around 31 weeks pregnant with her little girl. I can't believe we'll have a newborn around for Christmas! How exciting. Can't wait to be an Auntie Em. Here is a picture of Ellen at my parents' place, shooting an AR-15 assault rifle. First time shooting, and the first shot hit the target right between the eyes. ha ha! That's my sista! Always a badass.


Not much else. I'm finishing up school - two classes left. Nicole and I are almost there! It's been a long ride. Fall feels like it's here, and I am looking forward to my favorite season: bonfires, crisp air, colorful leaves....can't wait. Tomorrow night I drive to Madison to rescue a baby kitty named Albert. I'm excited to save this little heartbeat from an almost certain death.

Life is good.

2 comments:

Mary Bergfeld said...

It sounds as though you've been busy and having a good time. I loved the pictures of the kitten. This is my first visit to your blog but I will be back. I really enjoyed the time I spent here. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

Em V said...

Hi Mary! I absolutely LOVE new readers - thank you so much for your thoughtful comment. What a compliment! Made my day. :)