Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Poor Chihuahua puppy. I want to punch your owner in the face!

Do not be an idiot around me with your pet, or you shall see my wrath.

I stopped at the Walgreens off of Green Bay Road in Neenah this morning to pick up some candy for my little jar at work. I pulled into the parking lot and parked to the right of some junky blue Grand Am. All the windows were rolled fully down, keys in the ignition, and the tiniest little chihuahua I've ever seen was sitting on top of the dash, panting like crazy. He was a little white shorthair, and could not have been more than 2 lbs. Could not get over how TINY he was. Found this picture on the web - he kind of looked like this:


You do not leave a any dog, especially such a fragile one, baking in this kind of heat in the car, windows down or not. It can cause death in a matter of minutes. Secondly, you obviously don't give a shit about him if you leave your windows down ALL the way so that anybody and their brother could walk by and just grab him - he was small enough to fit in the palm of someone's hand and therefore could be very easily concealed. Thirdly, not only the windows down, but KEYS in the ignition?

I sat there a minute, baffled, ready to storm into the store and demand to know whose dog it was, when the tiny little thing jumped onto the door, right where the window would come up, and was balancing there. Then it jumped out of the car and was running around the parking lot.

A little dog like that jumping from a car window could easily break its leg. What are people thinking? By then I was steaming, chasing this poor thing around the parking lot. It was afraid of me, but I was terrified that it would run across busy Green Bay Road and get hit, so I kept trying to catch him. :(

A nice guy came out of Walgreens with his bags in hand and helped me...we corralled the puppy underneath the Grand Am, and the man promptly went inside and alerted someone at Walgreens to make an announcement. A few minutes later, a middle-aged lady came out, looking sheepish. "Ohhh, did you jump out?? You've never jumped out before!"

Unleash HELL. "Are you out of your MIND? You don't leave such a tiny dog in a BAKING hot car with the windows rolled ALL the way down, and the keys in the ignition..."

"Well, he's never jumped out before..."

"He could have broken his leg. He could have gotten hit by a car. He could have been grabbed and stolen. That is, if he didn't die of heat exhaustion first. How can you care so LITTLE about your dog??"

I continued my yelling until she just flat out started ignoring me, got in her car, and drove away. I flipped her off as she drove out of the parking lot, and I saw people inside of Walgreens looking out the window at me.

I pray for the future well being of that dog.

This kind of stuff makes me want to SCREAM. My chest hurt the entire ride into work. Why can any inept, uncaring human being own a pet? This is why my blog is subtitled the way it is. People are fucking idiots. I will never understand how some human beings can behave the way they do.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well said, girl! Poor lil' pup. Some people are a-holes!