Sunday, September 22, 2013

Goodbye, Old Girl

Not even two weeks after losing our Maggie, we lost Riley Lynn.  She made it to 14.5 and her poor body just couldn't do it any longer.  I've been putting off this post for a while because this has been so painful for my family and me.

For a long time she'd been pooping in the house, but we didn't feel that was reason enough to put her down. But over time and recently, Riley was walking crookedly, and if she'd shake her ears, she'd lose her balance outside and fall and hit her head on the concrete.  She could no longer get up on the bed, the couch, and going up and down steps always ended in her falling.  We decided it was the humane thing to do.

As far as Maggie, she was so sick from cancer it's almost like she was dead already...she didn't need the relaxation shot they normally give first, and she passed without a peep.

God Bless her, Riley fought as long as she could. She was alert when we brought her in, but the vet tech said it was adrenaline.  She seemed so confused in the room.  I am crying just typing this...does an animal know what's coming?   Dr. Hittle gave Riley her relaxation shot and after several minutes, she finally relaxed her back legs reluctantly and slunk into a sitting position.  Eventually, she laid down and rested on her side.  I will share Riley's last moments.  Please know that in none of these pictures is Riley deceased...the relaxation shot makes their third eyelid come out and mouth come open.

My saddest memory and why I say she fought until the end....after I thought she had passed from the actual shot, and even though Dr. Hittle said this was normal, she took 4 or 5 big heaving breaths where her chest went up and down, and then she was gone.  There was a lot of sobbing going on in the room, losing our very first labrador and the light of our lives.

Goodbye Riley Lynn Vanesky.  I hope you trotted over that Rainbow Bridge, are counter surfing in heaven and getting lots of treats, and have found your partner in crime Maggie to get into shenanigans with.

February 10, 1999 - September 3, 2013












I have opened some wounds reliving Maggie & Riley's deaths by typing these entries out and looking at pictures again. There is no better friend in the world like a loyal dog.

1 comment:

Tina said...

The whole family, saying goodbye to one of its own. This is beautiful. And I am one of those who believes that once they close their eyes on earth, they cross the bridge and are forever young and without pain.