Another cute kitty was there - a fluffy white cat...very timid. Someone just didn't want her anymore and dropped her back off. Words cannot express to you how horribly this cat REEKED of smoke. I could smell it from across the room. Not even like just ashtray smell - like, ROTTING cigar smoke or something. I brushed her and used some moist kitty wipes on her fur for 30 minutes - didn't even touch the stench. I said to Renee tonight...I think after a full bath...maybe SEVERAL....she will STILL smell. It was that deep in her fur and skin. *shiver* What the hell? Maybe you don't give a shit about your own health, but why would you chain smoke indoors and force your pet to breathe it in? I got home, washed my hands, and the rancidness is still clinging to my palms. This cat probably has lung cancer.
That is the hard part about working at a shelter...you have to see some of the most horrible things. Sad cases like tonight, and even sickening cases of abuse. This Winter I saw a cat there with a melted ear and burned off whiskers...it was tossed in a fire because someone didn't want him anymore. At least he has a happy ending. Check out Kramer on the Saving Paws Happy Tails page: Kramer Gets a Second Chance
Sometimes I just want to kill people. I cannot relate to people who don't treat their pets as members of the family. Why the hell would you have a pet if you don't WANT it there and are annoyed by its presence? PETS ARE NOT EXPENDABLE. You wouldn't return your own child, would you? You don't return pets for stupid-ass reasons:
- Oh we just can't afford it anymore
- I changed my mind
- We don't have time for it
- It's too 'wild'
- I'm moving and the new place doesn't take pets (GAY!)
- We had kids and I don't want the PET HAIR by the baby (Even GAYER!!)
Fuck off. All of these reasons are retarded and inexcusable.
Follow through and give that pet the great life you promised. YOU OWE IT THAT.
Ugh! Burn in hell, irresponsible people.
3 comments:
I have to agree with you...I must say that I am one of those who had to give up my two dear cats after owning them almsost 8 years.(sigh). It was the hardest decision I had to make. The reasons are complicated, but it was a safety issue with our first baby.
Our houehold was that of two cats and a dog...we have a German Shorthair Pointer who is still with us and will be for a long time!! He is such a blessing to us...all he wants to do is make us happy and if he gets a walk or some extra attention between the two kids and our busy lives...he likes that too!!! To me, having a pet is a privelage and should be treated that way.
Kudos to you for all you do with animals...
Regarding the pet hair comment... For all the educated retards out there, they should know that being exposed to allergens as a young child is a good thing as it leads to a lesser chance of that child developing asthma and allergies in the future.
Well put Em!
Post a Comment