Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Moon face? Weight gain? Where do I sign up???

I went to see my rheumatologist last Wednesday because my joint pain seemed to be getting worse suddenly, and he did some more blood tests. My double standard DNA test which previously tested negative is now coming back positive for Lupus. This isn't systemic Lupus but rather a drug-induced kind that will eventually go away if I stop taking the Humira injections. I'm a little frustrated...I thought something was finally working for the RA and now I can't be on any of those injectable rheumatoid arthritis drugs like Humira or Enbrel...or even the Remicade Infusions because they have about a 1% chance of "inducing" Lupus in some patients. I happen to be the unlucky 1%.

So...anyway...I am stopping Humira. But staying on Methotrexate syringe injections. And now he is adding 10mg of Prednisone daily. Prednisone is a steroid and I'm less than thrilled about that because of the side effects...but I guess I have to consider the trade-offs. Plus, it is a pretty insignificant dose and should hopefully not cause some of the more unappealing side effects that Prednisone is known for. We shall see!

Honestly. What the fuck is MOON FACE anyway?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You definitely DON'T want the "moon-face"!!!! Typical side effect of pred therapy!!!

<3 ellen