Sunday, November 7, 2010

My Poor Little Pirate

A few weeks ago I noticed the eye socket where Sylvester had his eye removed was really "rounded". I thought I was imagining things. How could there be an infection in a place that was sewn shut? I just didn't get it. Sure enough, I was playing with him and the kitties, just swishing a string toy around, and blood and pus started coming out of his eye.

Talk about SHOCK.

Jodi talked me through it and just told me to hold a warm compress on his eye socket until the morning, and then take him to the vet. LOTS of stuff drained into the warm cloth. I was glad to have Jodi calm me that night.

He was acting just fine...still playing around and acting happy, but I felt so bad for him. I snapped a picture of it when he finally laid down for a nap on my futon. It was still draining:



Sylvester went to Appanasha in the morning and saw Dr. Heindel. The doctor took a good look at Sylvester's eye and squeezed it....lots more infection came out and we also heard an air pocket 'pop'. He had a secondary infection. Apparently 9 times out of 10 these eye removal surgeries are relatively routine and problem-free, but there are those small percentages that get a rare infection. Poor buddy. Dr. Heindel took a swab of the discharge and gave me some Clavamox to put him on.

It's been about 2 weeks now and he's doing just fine. I'm glad to have my baby healthy again. I was so scared I was going to lose him and it was going to be a replay of Hannah...but thank goodness it wasn't.

1 comment:

Thoresen Family said...

ewwwww... I would have freaked out too! Glad to hear he's AOK!!! Hopefully the infection isn't a reoccuring thing.