Sunday, November 14, 2010

Work Buzzword Bingo

I have started documenting the buzzwords I've heard since I started at this company. I hear each of these several times per day - in passing, on a conference call, or in a meeting.

So annoying I think I need to start a "Buzzword Bingo". Here are some of our gems. Actually, I have never uttered any of these. But I say us because we all work at the same place.

HERE ARE SOME POPULAR ONES:

  • Straw Dog
  • Sound Byte
  • Let's tee that up later
  • Let's take this offline
  • Download
  • Deeper Dive
  • Noodle
  • Key initiatives
  • Key metrics
  • Key objectives
  • ANY phrase with "KEY" in it
  • Circle Back
  • IN TERMS OF
  • Piecemeal
  • Verbiage
  • Nomenclature
  • Essentially
  • Things of that nature
  • NUGGET
  • Choiceful
  • Adjacencies
  • ROBUST
  • Synergies
  • Low hanging fruit


I cannot believe how frequently these are all repeated on a daily basis. After I even hear one of these words come out of someone's mouth, my attention span goes down the tubes. I think I hate "Straw Dog" and "Let's tee that up later" the most. DUMMMBBBBBBBBB

3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Ha ha! Sounds like normal convo with my hubby! After 12 years at KC it must be sinking in... my personal favorite is low hanging fruit. I used to use it to make fun of him when ever I got a chance but now I just say it. Too funny.

Em V said...

Jason says LOW HANGING FRUIT? I'll have to have a talk with him when I visit, because it's totally unacceptable. ;)

Bill Bane said...

I love your list. Most cringe-inducing for me is 'choiceful.'

Fortunately I get slapped if any of these words pass my lips at home.